If you know me you know that I love to organize things. I may not be able to keep them that way for long – you know, with a 15 mo old – but I enjoy putting things in their proper place. I also like to make lists. And I’ve moved a lot. So, I’ve put together a list of moving tips to help make a hectic process easier. And I’m also compiling this list, to help myself remember what needs to get done before Saturday! Haha!
8 tips to help make moving easier:
1.) LABEL EVERYTHING!
- I think this one goes without saying, but if you want to know what’s in your boxes, you should probably label them. Now, I don’t just use the general labels here, I make sure to list things out. So instead of writing “Kitchen” on your box, you could add a few key items that are in your boxes.
- Add terms like “Heavy,” “Fragile” and “Light.” So that heavy boxes of the same size don’t end up crushing the light boxes.
- Label items “open first” so you know whether these are items that must be unboxed immediately.
- Here are some great labels I like to put on my boxes: (Click the link to view on Amazon)
2.) Box everything you can
- I like to box clothes with hangers on them – I have so many clothes hanging in my closet that it just doesn’t make sense to bag them.
- Bulky items are much more easily moved if you are able to box them.
- You can also use baskets if an item will waste space in a box.
3.) Pack boxes from the same room together in the truck
- If you organize the moving truck so that all the kitchen boxes are together it makes unpacking the truck much easier. (Of course, this may not always be possible – but put them as close together as you can)
4.) Hire movers
- If you can afford to do this – just do it. It makes life so much easier!
5.) Leave cleaning items in an open box – pack it at the back of the truck.
- Whether you need the items to clean your old house or the new – chances are they will be needed, so leave them somewhere easy to access.
6.) Pack a Suitcase
- Put all your commonly used items like toiletries and clothes for several days in a suitcase, this way you know where they are and you won’t be digging through boxes trying to get ready for work.
7.) Clean as you pack
- One of the worst things ever is unpacking dirty and dusty items from boxes and having to clean after you move – so grab a duster and clean them as you pack!
8.) Don’t Stress
- I know that this one is easier said than done… but try to relax. Before you know it you will be unpacked and living comfortably in your new place!
Did I miss anything? Do you have any great moving and packing tips? Let me hear them! Leave a comment below, or shoot me an email to email@example.com